Empay wallet is the mobile payment and digital wallet service created by Department of Economic Development (DED), Dubai and executed by Emcredit Limited (A DED entity). This wallet enables the users to make contactless and remote payments using certain devices and cards registered on such devices.
Empay wallet features may vary based on your Device model and Card, and may change from time to time.
- We, us and our means Emcredit Limited, 310, Building 5, DIFC, Dubai United Arab Emirates, DBA Emcredit limited who is the executor of Empay wallet.
- Customer is the person who signs up to Empay wallet
- Credit Cardmeans a credit card designated by MasterCard or Visa as a MasterCard or a Visa card, American Express, UnionPay (or a credit card of other credit card organizations that may be accepted by us from time to time)
- Debit Cardmeans a debit card designated by MasterCard or Visa as a MasterCard or a Visa card, American Express, UnionPay (or a debit card of other debit card organizations that may be accepted by us from time to time);
- Partnered bank card means credit, debit, pre-paid, gift cards issued by banks participatingwith Emcredit for Empay wallet
- Non-partnered bank card means credit or debit card issued by banks which are UAE based but are not partners with Emcredit for Empay wallet.
- Partnered bank Customer means the person who has credit or debit card issued from banks partneringwith Empay wallet.
- Devicemeans a device such as a smartphone, tablet or smart watch using an android operating system, on which Empay wallet will be installed and setup.
- Partners or Service Providers means all parties who have partnered with Empay wallet for providing various services like banks, exchange houses, education institutes, government departments, utility provider companies, food companies etc.
- PIN means 6 digit numeric passcode setup by user during registration to Empay wallet
- Passcode means the secret code that is required to unlock a Device, including a password, passcode, pattern or biometric identifier (where applicable).
- Default Cardmeans the card that will be used by default for Empay wallet transactions. This is usually the contactless card of any of the partnered bank, which is set as default card for contactless and remote payments. Default cards can be switched any time.
- Remote Payments are online payments that can be made from Empay wallet for services enabled on the platform like utility payments, government payments etc.
- Cloud cards are cards that are added to Empay wallet, which can only be used to make remote payments, and not for contactless payments.
- DED means Dubai Economic Department
- MOL means Ministry of Labor, Government of Dubai
- You acknowledge that Your use of Cards on Empay wallet will remain subject to the terms of any cardholder agreement(s) You may have with the relevant Card Issuer, and neither these Terms and Conditions, nor Your use of Empay wallet shall alter Your existing relationship with Card Issuers with respect to Your Cards.
- You agree that you will use Empay wallet in accordance with applicable law and will not use Empay wallet for any illegal or fraudulent purposes. Empay wallet is not intended for use by any person other than cardholder authorized to use the card pursuant to that cardholder agreement between you and the card issuer. If you are not authorized card holder of the cards added in your Empay wallet, you may not use Empay.
- Empay wallet services are not available to persons under the age of 18 or to anyone previously suspended or removed from the services by Empay. By accepting these Terms & Conditions or by otherwise using the Services or the Site, You represent that You are at least 18 years of age and have not been previously suspended or removed from the Services. You represent and warrant that you have the right, authority, and capacity to enter into this Agreement and to abide by all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement. You shall not impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent identity, age or affiliation with any person or entity.
- It is responsibility of the customer to maintain the physical security of the device and confidentiality of the device lock, PIN, security questions and other means to access Empay wallet, card credentials, or any other personal and payment information on or for the device. On sharing the device and/or means of access to the device with any person, that person may be able to use the Cards and access the personal and payment information available in Empay wallet. The Customer is required to keep the device, the credentials secure in the same manner and do not share wallet PIN or device unlock pattern/ password with any other person.
- Use of Empay wallet requires Your Device to have access to Internet via mobile network or Wi-Fi (fees may apply), and requires obtaining updates or upgrades from time to time.
- To register for Empay wallet, the Customer has to download / update Empay wallet app from the Play Store.
- Customers can register multiple cards on the wallet.
- Cards added on wallet from participating banks can be used for both contactless and remote payments for payment activities enabled on Empay wallet.
- Cards added on wallet from non- participating banks can be used only for remote payments for payment activities enabled on Empay wallet.
- Participating bank cards will be added to Empay wallet provided:
Empay wallet allows Customer to create digital/ virtual cards on their Device inside Empay wallet, which permits the Customer to use the Device, instead of presenting the physical Cards, to make payments using merchants’ contactless-enabled point-of-sale terminals or readers that accept contactless payments using Cards. Such payments can be made at any merchant location within the United Arab Emirates, which accepts such payments.
Along with contactless payment, Empay wallet also allows Customer to use these digital/ virtual cards for making remote payments for various services available on Empay wallet like Utility payments, Government payments, Order Food online, Education Fees payments etc. Changes in the available services will be updated time to time.
Customer can add Digital/ virtual cards of Empay partnered banks initially. After some time, wallet will be enabled to accept cards of non-partnered banks (cards issued from UAE). The changes in acceptance of type of cards will be updated time to time.
By adding the Card to Empay wallet, the Customer can authorize payment for the merchant's products or services with the Card within Empay wallet by authenticating and placing the Device near a merchant's contactless-enabled point-of-sale terminal/ reader or choosing Empay wallet card for authorizing payments for the services available online on Empay wallet.
Based on type of card in Empay wallet (contactless or contact), the customer can use Empay wallet to authorize transactions on a Card used for making payment. Contactless payments through Empay wallet are done by placing the device with Empay wallet instead of physical card at a contactless payment terminal for point of sale transactions. The Customer may require the Device to be unlocked prior to making the transaction and depending on the value of the transaction, the contactless payment terminals may require:
- The Customer to enter the Empay PIN setup by user at the time of registration
- The Customer to unlock the phone at a point prior to attempting a transaction
To make payments with Empay wallet, wallet has to be selected as the default wallet application on the Device settings to make transactions on the Card.
Customer will make payment through default card setup in Empay wallet. In case the Customer want to use a different card other than default card from wallet for the transaction, then Customer can change the default card to card that he/ she wants to use before placing the device at contactless payment terminal for the payment transaction.
- Customer must set device locking pattern, PIN or fingerprint to access Device to prevent others from accessing or using Empay wallet on the Device. Customer should agree to keep his/ her device-locking pattern, PIN confidential at all times.
- Emcredit shall not be liable for any loss which the Customer suffers by using Empay wallet unless it is directly caused by the Emcredit’s gross negligence and/ or willful misconduct.
- In case of breach of confidentiality of the Device or PIN ,the Customer shall be fully and solely responsible for and bear all charges, costs, losses, and damages whatsoever and howsoever arising from such breach. In the event the Customer discloses the PIN intentionally or unintentionally, the Customer shall indemnify the Banks/ parties against any unauthorized payment, charges, costs or losses and any transaction effected due to such breach.
- The Customer shall immediately notify Emcredit by calling Empay customer care, if Empay wallet PIN is breached or is disclosed to another person or entity. The Customer should request the Bank to block the Card due to such disclosure or breach and the Customer shall indemnify the Bank for any loss, damage, charge or expense caused to the Bank due to such breach.
- In the event of fraud, loss or theft of the Device, the Customer should immediately report such loss to Emcredit by calling its customer to delete all cards from Empay wallet in addition to other parties such as telecom provider etc. The Customer can continue to use the physical card plastic for all enrolled cards. The Customer hereby indemnifies the Bank against any claims, costs, charges or losses made in respect of any transactions effected using the Customer Device prior to the Customer notifying the Bank or Empay of the fraud, loss or theft or requesting the bank or Empay to block the card.
- Empay wallet has taken efforts in securing all communications; please note that the confidentiality of communications via any public telecommunications network is susceptible to unlawful interception and hacking, especially through public Wi-Fi. Empay shall not be liable for any loss or damage whether direct or consequential arising out of any such unlawful interception or access.
- During registration to Empay wallet, certain information from the Customer is collected for registering to wallet and to verify the Customer identity, in order to enable the Customer to use the wallet. This information includes Name, mobile number, email address, Emirates ID.
- The Customer should call Empay customer care provided in Empay wallet app as well as at Empay website (http://www.empay.ae) immediately if the Customer believes that the Device, Device lock, Empay PIN, cards stored in the wallet may have been lost, stolen or compromised in any way. In such a situation, the Customer should change the credentials immediately to avoid any unauthorized use of the Cards in the wallet. By informing to Empay customer care, all cards in Empay wallet will be deleted immediately for any further unauthorized use and access.
- Empay wallet may use certain security features and procedures to protect against unauthorized use of any of the Cards. The Customer agrees not to disable any of these security features and to use these security features and procedures to safeguard the Cards.
Emcredit can suspend or terminate customer from Empay wallet in following circumstances including but not limited to:
- If any fraud is suspected on Empay wallet or reported by any partners/ service providers/ card networks in Empay wallet;
- If required by applicable laws or regulations (such as anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing laws sanctions laws, etc.);
- For any other reason which Emcredit deems fit as a security concern.
Empay shall not be liable for any loss arising from the use of Empay wallet to the extent the loss was caused by:
- The Customer’s fraud, negligence, or willful default; or
The Customer’s use of device in a manner not permitted (for example, by obtaining root access to the Device, etc.)
- Empay wallet customer may receive push notifications from Empay wallet related to account activity, discounts and offers. Such notifications require internet connection. These notifications will within the notification tray at the top of the home screen, which may be viewed even when the Device is locked. Any personal or confidential information will not be displayed through these push notifications. If the Customer does not wish to receive push notifications, they may be turned off within the Device notifications Empay wallet app settings.
- As a condition for activating and using the Cards with Empay wallet, the Customer consents to receive certain messages from Empay wallet on the Device or at the mobile number the Customer provided when the Customer registered to Empay wallet.
- By accepting the terms and conditions the customer accepts that Empay wallet may send the alerts to the mobile phone number provided by the customer while registering for the service or to any such number replaced and informed by the customer. The customer acknowledges that the alerts will be received only if the mobile phone is in ‘On’ mode to receive the SMS. If the mobile phone is, in ‘Off’ mode then the customer may not get / get after delay any alerts sent during such period.
- The customer acknowledges that the clarity, readability, accuracy, and promptness of providing the alert/ SMS service depend on many factors including the infrastructure, connectivity of the service provider. Empay wallet shall not be responsible for any non-delivery, delayed delivery or distortion of the alert in any way whatsoever.
- Customer also agrees to receive information regarding what Empay wallet perceives to be of their interest based on usage history via SMS, email & phone call. This includes offers, discounts and general information. In case the customer does not want such information, they have to explicitly ask to be excluded.
The Customer shall not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense any right to use any Card credentials in Empay wallet.